What to expect
Spend time with this family in the Karbonkelberg Mountains of The Sentinel Peak, jutting out into the Atlantic Ocean at the south western section of Hout Bay among the traditional fisher community of this globally diverse seaside suburb of Cape Town.
• Meet at the canons at Bay Harbour Market/Fish on The Rocks as the starting point for the tour to start at 8am which will have you walk through and explore and learn about the harbour community and their heritage of traditional fishing
• The walk continues into the mountain below Sentinel Peak with amazing views across the community, harbour and bay to the popular Chapmans Peak drive in the distance
• During the walk/hike into the mountain you will walk past what might just look like some wild vegetation but could well be a plant with either it’s leaves or roots to be used for some herbal remedy
• All the while being in the natural fresh air coming off the Atlantic Ocean you will also have a calming effect on you as you learn and experience the herbs used by the indigenous people of the Cape
• At the end of the hike to one of the viewpoints you will then get to have a taste of one of the herbal tinctures brewed by your guides and be given a bit of info about its benefits
• Some of the already foraged and cleaned plants will be available for purchase and details will be shared based on the ones you buy about how to brew and consume it
Meet your hosts
Brent Thomas and his wife Donita a local traditional herbalist will take you on a hike, walking the footsteps of their forefathers and learning about the indigenous plants that grow in the mountains they live on and how they use it to make herbal remedies for their own use and the community they live in. Donita is not academically educated and quite shy but once you get to know her and she opens up, the warmth and love of a motherly figure shines through, and you get drawn into her heritage passed on by her mother of using nature as your medicine cabinet and all doing so sparingly and with care for sustaining the flora.
Images: The Secret Adventurer
Get the ultimate Cape experience with a touch of class. It starts on the lush slopes of Constantia Valley where fine dining and wining combine with a distinctly Cape flavour. Your taste buds are in for a treat on the route from historic Stellenbosch to the Hemel en Aarde wine-growing valley. Traverse the rolling landscapes of the Cape Winelands and Overberg with photo opportunities at every turn, ending at the coast in charming Hermanus.
Rashieda Ockards is that one caring community aunty that everyone greets and tends to pop in at, she is always giving something to nibble on and affectionately known by family, friends, and locals as Aunty Sieda. She has particularly become known for her donuts [a lighter less spicier version of the popular Cape Town Koesister
Aunty Nita’s specializes in tours in the “Coloured” areas of the Cape Flats. We visit the Forgotten Heroes in Athlone which focuses on the role of the youth of the Cape Flats in our Liberation Struggle.
Shark Explorers offers uniquely customised shark diving, viewing and filming expeditions. We will help you plan and execute your ultimate shark diving experience or shoot, by making sure you are in the right place at the right time with the best chance of successfully encountering your shark of choice.