What to expect
Enjoy a hike and walk to Seal Island on Foot and while walking along the shore learn about the marine life that through the generations have sustained our forefathers. The experience continues with you meeting other people in our community sharing stories about our culture and heritage and taste locally produced seafood tasters, craft beer, and gin.
Living in a traditional fishing community beyond the Hout Bay harbour, it goes without saying that by learning about the way of life using the ocean as a food resource you will get to taste the foods these people grew up with. This seaside village on the Atlantic Coast of Cape Town is steeped in a diverse heritage and you will see why so many tend to make it home alongside this community with some families having been here for more than 100 years.
• Meet at the canons at Bay Harbour Market/Fish on The Rocks as the starting point for the tour to start at 8am
• Get to learn about the harbour community and their heritage of traditional fishing
• The walk continues into the mountain below Sentinel Peak with amazing views across the community, harbour and bay across to the popular Chapmans Peak drive
• You continue till down to the beach across from the popular Duiker Island for the local seal island boat trips
• On the beach you will be informed of the types of seafood that is found here with an opportunity to get to taste of it with some locally produced beverages when going back into the community to end off the tour.
• Continue the tour with a hike back up Sentinel Peak and take in the fresh air and amazing views and back into the community and opportunity for the food and beverage tasters, meeting other community member and then you are free to explore and Discover Hout Bay further
Meet your hosts
Brent Thomas and his family have carried on some of their traditional way of life by living off and in nature. As a family they have regular walks in the mountain and on the beach and within season and with their permits they would forage and collect what they need as part of their lifestyle. Passed on through the generations of the indigenous people as their forefathers, you get to have a taste and live a bit in the past.
Images : The Secret Adventurer
Brent Thomas and his wife Donita a local traditional herbalist will take you on a hike, walking the footsteps of their forefathers and learning about the indigenous plants that grow in the mountains they live on and how they use it to make herbal remedies for their own use and the community they live in
On this experience you will get to meet one of the designers and possibly of the talented and creative people who create and bring you amazing local fashion at great prices.
Aunty Nita’s specializes in tours in the “Coloured” areas of the Cape Flats. We visit the Forgotten Heroes in Athlone which focuses on the role of the youth of the Cape Flats in our Liberation Struggle.
Through their heritage, tradition and culture you will learn more about the history of enslaved people and Political Exiles; and when it comes to food there are cooking classes and Fine Dining Bo-Kaap style savouring the tastes of Cape Malay fragrant meals and be sure to have entertainment with some Ghoema Music too.